At Mallorca International School our aim in the Foundation Stage is to provide each child with a safe, stimulating and caring environment in which to embark on their school life. This links to the characteristics of learning which consist of:
Playing and exploring - children investigate and experience things and ‘have a go’;
Active learning - children concentrate and keep on trying if they encounter difficulties, and enjoy achievements;
Creating and thinking critically - children have and develop their own ideas, make links between ideas, and develop strategies for doing things.
In EYFS the children follow the Early Years Foundation Stage Curriculum, which is a continuation of learning experiences in Nursery through to Reception. We plan for quality learning experiences that enable the children to learn through first hand experiences, play and practical activities.
There are 7 areas of learning in EYFS, three are the prime areas of learning followed by the 4 specific areas.
The 3 Prime areas:
1. Personal, Social and Emotional Development
● Experiences that encourage the children to be interested and motivated to learn.
● They will have the opportunity to respond to significant experiences, developing their confidence to try new activities, initiate ideas and speak in a familiar group.
● Develop their understanding that people have different needs, views, cultures and beliefs, and that need we all need to be treated with respect.
● Learn the importance of working together and develop a sense of belonging to a community.
Develop skills to become independent in a variety of situations.
2. Communication and Language
● Provide opportunities to teach the children how to communicate their thoughts and ideas in a variety of ways.
● Develop the skills to listen attentively and respond relevantly to what they see and hear.
● Demonstrate their understanding through following instructions and responding to questioning.
● Learn to express themselves effectively and to use language to develop a narrative or theme in their activities and interactions with others.
3. Physical Development
● Develop their ability to travel around, under, over and through balancing and climbing equipment with coordination and control
● Teach them how to use a range of tools, objects, construction and malleable materials safely and with control.
● Recognise the importance of keeping healthy and the things which contribute to this.
The 4 Specific areas:
● Develop their enthusiasm for and love of books and teach them the skills to develop reading skills.
● Experiences to form letters, and see writing as an important communication tool.
● Use their developing phonic knowledge (awareness of letters and
sounds) read and write simple words and sentences.
● Through a range of activities and experience they will develop an interest in numbers, developing their skills in counting, reading and ordering numbers.
● Learn simple calculation skills and develop their confidence to solve simple problems.
● Develop their knowledge of shape, space and pattern and develop in their ability to use the appropriate vocabulary to describe shapes, positions and measurements.
6. Understanding the World
● Experiences where they will investigate objects and materials by using all of their senses.
● They will find out about and identify some features of living things, objects and events they observe.
● Build and construct with a wide range of objects.
● Through a range of activities, they will select the tools and techniques they
need to shape, assemble and join materials they are using.
● Find out about and use everyday technology in their learning.
● Observe and find out about and identify features in the place they live and the natural world.
● Learn about different cultures, their beliefs and ideas.
7. Expressive Art and Design
● Engage in a range of creative experiences and activities.
● Encourage them to respond in a variety of ways to what they see, hear, smell, touch and feel.
● Develop the confidence and ability to use their imagination in art and design, music, dance, stories and role play.